Dec 9, 2009

Harvesters












Recently, a group of students approached me with the idea for starting a book club. As an English teacher, I was so excited to get this started. (Who wouldn't want to work with a bunch of motivated teenagers?) Anyway, the group (23 students) decided to read one book a month, but they wanted to do more than just reading; when the opportunity is there, they also want to give back to our community. So, our book club is also about volunteering and contributions. Our first book Pay It Forward was donated by the Pay It Forward Foundation; they sent us signed copies of the book. It was a very fitting book to get us started, as we decided to start our community contributions right away, too.

My group, along with the Read 180 and ELL classes, went to Harvesters last week to take a tour and volunteer our time. Our group spent the day sorting donated goods. They had a lot of fun in the process, and they definitely want to go back.

I'm very fortunate to work with such a great group of teenagers! (The pictures aren't great because I took them with my camera. By the way, I don't think BlackBerrys have very good camera phones.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment